About Me

Seattle, Washington
My family and I have been on a quest for better health for years. I am a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner and Body Ecology Coach. I truly believe that we should let food be our medicine and medicine be our food. I spend a lot of time in my kitchen. I love to cook, wear aprons and I love to share my passion and knowledge for good food with people who crave it. I understand that when first starting out on this journey it can be overwhelming and feel impossible. It isn't. It's really just getting back to basics. It's a great feeling being in your kitchen with an apron on cooking awesome, amazing, healthy foods for people you love. It's an even better feeling to know that you are sharing with them and teaching them important life changing skills... helping them get back to the way things used to be. It is my intention to make this journey amazingly easy for you and yours to slip right into!

Monday, March 7, 2011

Black Bean Soup

We don't eat a lot of beans since they're hard on digestion. Soaking them overnight in lots of water and some apple cider vinegar, kefir or lemon juice helps but beans are both a protein and a carb and that automatically calls for troubles with digestion. That said, we do eat them a few times a month. Today i made some black bean soup for this weeks lunches. I used canned beans this time since i had a lot of other things to accomplish and i hadn't soaked any beans. I make my bean soup in a clay pot. It turns out really nice that way but you can make yours in a sauce pan on the stove or in the oven whichever you like. In the clay pot it makes a nice dark bubbly "crust" around the edges.

BLACK BEAN SOUP

2 cans Organic Black Beans most of liquid drained off (i like Eden Organic because they have kombu in them)
1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
2 cups various sauteed vegetables (kale, onions, broccoli, carrots, garlic, chard, peppers, organic corn whatever works for you)
1 Tbsp Frontier Seasonings Mexican Spices
1/2 tsp salt
dash turmeric
Pepper to taste

I just mix all this in my clay pot and bake at 350 for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. When soup has cooled a bit i add cilantro and some coconut milk. I don't like to add the coconut milk before cooking the soup down. It stays thicker and creamier if you add it at the end.

1 comment: