About Me

Seattle, Washington
My family and I have been on a quest for better health for years. I am a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner and Body Ecology Coach. I truly believe that we should let food be our medicine and medicine be our food. I spend a lot of time in my kitchen. I love to cook, wear aprons and I love to share my passion and knowledge for good food with people who crave it. I understand that when first starting out on this journey it can be overwhelming and feel impossible. It isn't. It's really just getting back to basics. It's a great feeling being in your kitchen with an apron on cooking awesome, amazing, healthy foods for people you love. It's an even better feeling to know that you are sharing with them and teaching them important life changing skills... helping them get back to the way things used to be. It is my intention to make this journey amazingly easy for you and yours to slip right into!

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I LOVE Pie!

Okay so I totally do love pie! When we first changed our eating habits we went without treats for SO LONG and now we know how to make some very simple healthy ones that we really do love and pie is one of them. This basic pie recipe works for Thanksgiving and any other time too!

Basic Pie Crust

1 1/2 cups Almond Meal (also good if you add some Hazelnut flour)
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (optional. If you don't use this increase Almond Meal or Hazelnut Flour)
1/4 cup coconut oil/butter or mixture of the two
Stevia to taste (optional, I use Vanilla cream)

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and press out into pie pan.  Bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes or refrigerate for 30 minutes.  Refrigeration works with this pie crust because of the good fats in the recipe. The coconut oil (or butter/coconut oil mixture) and the fat from the almond meal allow it to sort of "set up" and work as a crust with out baking it.

Chocolate "Cream" Filling

1 1/2 - 2 ripe avocados
3 Tbsp un alkalized cocoa powder (more or less depending on your taste)
Vanilla Cream Stevia to taste (Honey could also work as would peppermint stevia and or dark chocolate stevia)
1/2 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk (hemp or rice milk will work as well. you can also add any other extract you want to use)

Mix all these ingredients in a Vitamix or blender until smooth and then fill the baked or chilled crust and refrigerate for at least an  hour. You can also use Xylitol in the filling or the crust but remember Xylitol is really poisonous to dogs so be careful! This pie really is amazing and I have served it to a few SAD eaters on holidays and they didn't even know they weren't eating chocolate cream pie until I told them there was avocado in the pie. Check it out!!






No comments:

Post a Comment