About Me

Seattle, Washington
My family and I have been on a quest for better health for years. I am a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner and Body Ecology Coach. I truly believe that we should let food be our medicine and medicine be our food. I spend a lot of time in my kitchen. I love to cook, wear aprons and I love to share my passion and knowledge for good food with people who crave it. I understand that when first starting out on this journey it can be overwhelming and feel impossible. It isn't. It's really just getting back to basics. It's a great feeling being in your kitchen with an apron on cooking awesome, amazing, healthy foods for people you love. It's an even better feeling to know that you are sharing with them and teaching them important life changing skills... helping them get back to the way things used to be. It is my intention to make this journey amazingly easy for you and yours to slip right into!

Monday, March 7, 2011

Cinnamon Scones

I am forever on a quest to have good treats around for my kids. When they come home from school they are always looking for something quick to grab and eat. Mondays are my day off and i spend the morning while the girls are at school grocery shopping and preparing things for the weeks meals (this includes making snacks to have on hand). Feeling like we have been consuming too many almonds, i went on a quest for a GF scone recipe. I found a few and tweaked them a bit. They are in the oven baking as i type. I am also getting ready to saute vegetables to have on hand to make meals during the week much faster to prep and also if the veggies are ready they are more likely to make it into meals! Today i'm also making cashew milk, cashew butter, young coconut kefir, coconut yogurt, black bean soup and hopefully i will get around to making some milk yogurt too! We shall see!

Okay the scones are out and they are AMAZING!! I could eat the whole batch. The only thing that stops me is knowing what an uncomfortable bloated tummy i would have!!

CINNAMON SCONES

2 Cups GF flour (i used bobs red mill GF Biscuit and Baking Mix
1 shy Tbsp Non aluminum baking powder (if you are using flour that doesn't already have some baking powder in it which Biscuit Mix does you can go with the full Tbsp)
1/2 cup Lakanto (you can google lakanto. xylitol also works or sweetener of choice)
1/2 tsp xanthan gum (this was in the other recipes i found but i didn't use it since i used chia seeds in place of an egg)
1/2 tsp sea salt
6 tsp coconut oil or butter
1 beaten egg (i used 1 Tbsp ground chia seeds + 3 Tbsp hot water gelled for 5 minutes)
1/2 cup milk (i used unsweetened hemp)
1 dropper vanilla cream stevia (optional)
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp cinnamon
dash cloves
dash nutmeg

TOPPING

2 Tbsp melted butter
2 tsp cinnamon
sweetener of choice

Mix all dry ingredients. Cut in butter or oil until mixture is pea size crumbles. I grated the butter with a cheese grater to make this part easier. In smaller bowl mix chia seeds with hot water and let set (omit this step if using egg). Mix wet ingredients and add to dry. Knead until well mixed and form dough into a ball pat out onto a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Press dough out until it is a 3/4 inch thick circle and cut into wedges as you would a pizza. Pour the topping mixture over dough and spread to cover. Space the scones out so they are not touching each other and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20 min.

Now that i have made this recipe and know how it turns out next time i will do it a tad different. I will try and see how it works out if i mix the milk and flour with a dash of yogurt or kefir and let sit out at room temp overnight before making these to make it kind of like a sourdough recipe. This step will make the scones easier on digestion. I'll let you know how that turns out when i do it. I am also working on a frosting recipe for these but they are awesome just the way they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment